Mover moving boxesMoving to a new home can be a very exciting time, but it doesn’t come without it’s stressors. Packing, cleaning your old place and prepping your new home is a lot to deal with. Hiring good movers and watching them load your valuables up comes with some concerns! How well did you really pack those boxes? When moving from one state to another, your movers usually provide you with 2 choices for insurance:

Released value: Under this option, often offered at no additional charge, the mover assumes liability for no more than 60 cents per pound per article. For example, if the mover damaged a 50-pound coffee table valued at $1,000, you would receive only $30 in compensation (60 cents x 50 pounds).

Full value protection: The mover is liable for the replacement value of lost or damaged goods. This plan is much more comprehensive than Released Value, but still has limitations. The mover can choose limits for damages to items of extraordinary value; this can be done on items whose value exceeds $100 per pound (such as antiques or china). You can specifically list these items on the shipping documents to avoid this limitation. The amount charged for this coverage varies by moving company and can be subject to deductibles.  You can also purchase moving insurance through:

A Third Party. The amount you pay may vary depending upon the amount of insurance you are choosing and the history of the company that is moving you.

A Consumer Affairs Agency. If moving within your state, you should check with the state, county or local consumer affairs agency to see your state’s rules and regulations regarding moving companies and their obligations.

Your Homeowner Insurance. Another option that might be available to you is coverage through your homeowner insurance. Many home policies do provide coverage for items while in transit, but there may be limitations due to breakage of fragile items. Contact your local agent to find out if you have this coverage or to discuss other options that might be available to you.

Be careful to check all items carefully once they arrive at your new home. Do not sign the inventory sheet and file a claim with the moving company within 9 months if anything is missing or has been damaged, or you won’t be compensated. If you got coverage by a third party or from your homeowner’s insurance, you’ll need to file a claim with them as well.

Previous Post
Newer Post
Shillington, PA 19607
Mon - Thur 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Melbourne, Australia
(Sat - Thursday)
(10am - 05 pm)